Tuesday, January 17, 2012

About the Piano...

Back in the day, when I first wrote Poughkeepsie, the image of a handsome man playing a piece of cardboard like a piano captured me. As the story developed, the cardboard even developed its own back story. It was also a part of one of the hardest chapters I ever wrote. (And Mouse's chapter, of course.) 


 I still remember writing with tears rolling down my face when Blake made a huge decision involving the piano.


So when I was arranging pictures for the book's trailer, I tried and tried to find an image of a keyboard sketched on cardboard. Finally I broke down and drew it myself. I was at my in law's house and my husband and I were going to stop at the Poughkeepsie station for some pictures. I went down to my in law's basement and found a fairly beat up cardboard box. I ripped off a piece, grabbed a Sharpie, and went to town. I sucked at it. I went downstairs and tore at that poor box again and handed the marker to my husband. 


 "You need to draw this. Pretend to be a teenager. And write manly." He did a good job (he always writes manly - I was just busting his chops). Then I spent a few minutes adding age to it by sandpapering warn spots on the cardboard, imagining Blake's repetitive touch at the station. Then I rolled and unrolled it a million times.


 Next, it was time for the piano's photo shoot. It was a liquid hot day in New York. (We come visiting up from Maryland twice a year.) My husband was the photographer and I was in charge of the model. To get the shots I wanted, I found myself crawling over metal guardrails that had been baking all day. I could almost hear my pale, wimpy skin sizzling.


We took some dumb pictures. And we took some that worked. Here are some of both types. I was very pleased that we weren't arrested. 







So now I'm letting this baby out into the world. I'm so very excited to see the piano with you! Please take a picture of it in your town or by something you love. Email me when you get it and I will provide you with the next stop. There should be temporary tattoos in the package for you to enjoy as well. If you would like to be a stop, please join in! Email me at Debra.anastasia@gmail.com and I will hook you up with a spot on the list. You must agree to keep the piano moving. I'm imagining it might take a while to make the rounds, so please be patient!

Thanks again for being a part of the fun. 

<3 Debra


P.S. here's the videos with the piano

 



2 comments:

  1. I am THERE!!!!! =-D
    I'm moving to Australia on Sunday so you'll end up with some beautiful shots. If it turns out to be too expensive to put me on the list then you can always do me first, I wouldn't mind paying extra to post it back to the US.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel! No worries about international, I'll make sure it gets overseas. Love to see the pics you will take!

      Delete